Wednesday 17 June 2009

Rehearsal Uno...

Hiya,

We're all very excited here at Fleet towers. I say we, it's just me sat here on my lonesome.

Today was superb.

Back stories are solved, ten pages have been thoroughly 'got through', and Lloyd had a full Sunday dinner (Yorkshire pudding and everything) on a Wednesday.

It's funny, you expect, as a writer, to either hate every second of hearing your words back at you, or to become so precious about them you should probably just play all the parts yourself. Instead, it was one of the most liberating, creative things I've ever experienced. Lines were changed, slagged, cut, flipped, and lost, all for the right reasons and all for the good of the play. If I could offer any advice to any writer (which I won't, because I know nothing) it would be to let the people your working with use your words. Let them change them. You're not omnipotent. It may well be that your 'things' can be replaced with 'stuff' and work so much better...

Tomorrow our three lovely actors go for costume fittings. When asked if I had anything I did or didnt want, I simply said 'no denim'. This was met as if I'd said 'no lycra'. OF COURSE NO DENIM, YOU IDIOT.

Anyway, this cup of tea won't drink itself,

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment